Thursday, April 17, 2008

6 months ago today...

We met Drew for the first time!!

He's such a different little boy now than he was when we met him. I'll never forget that day - the fear in his eyes at meeting strangers, his mismatched orphanage clothes (all 5 layers of them!!), no talking at all, struggling to write down and digest all the information the orphanage director was giving us...what a difference six months make. His former caregivers wouldn't even recognize him now!!

Drew has been home for four months now - and he's doing so great. His vocabulary is really coming along. Just in the last week he's started saying "Daddy" instead of Dada and saying "no," while shaking his head. I have high hopes that someday he will say Mommy. Right now, when he says Daddy to me and I say, "No, mommy!" he just laughs and says "Daddy!" - it's a funny game to him. Of course he also will call me "Be" cause he hears Patrick call me Beth...Ha, ha...NOT!!

Drew is loving daycare - especially playing outside all day. In fact, at the end of the day he wants to stay and play. He's very whiny and tempermental by the end of the day and by 7:30 is pretty much ready for bed - at least Patrick and I are ready for him to go to bed. He's still sleeping great - though he cries out in his sleep a lot. He doesn't wake up though, so I don't know if it's nightmares or what?

I can't believe he's going to be 2 soon. It makes me sad that we missed his first birthday - 2 just doesn't seem to be the milestone that 1 is, ya know? Oh well...

This weekend will be Drew's first Passover - I hope he likes sedar. We'll be at Grama's for the first night and Uncle Lenny's for the second night. I have to teach Drew how to bargain for Afikomen money! LOL...we have a college fund to build up after all...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note - I'm going to be writing an article on adoption for my sorority magazine - The Quill. I'm so excited!! I've been wanting to write on the subject for a while and this is such a good forum for that. Gotta think there are lots of A Xi D's out there interested in adoptiopn of some sort??

Today also happens to be AXiD's Founder's Day - April 17, 1893 in Galesburg, Ill. - I hope my pledge mom Auntie Kelly is proud of me for remembering that...

"I love the Rose of Alpha Xi...."

Funny thing is - Auntie Kelly and I always used to talk about having daughters and watching them get initiated into our sorority...and now we both have little boys!!

3 comments:

poobail said...

Hi, you don't know me, but we are sisters! I am starting my dossier to go to Kaz for my baby, and am an A Xi D, too! I found your blog as a result of my google blog alert. Your son is beautiful!
Margaret Epsilon Mu chapter

KRISTI said...

6 months ago? Are you serious? Wow.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.