Friday, May 9, 2008

"Non-Mom" mom?????? - UPDATE at bottom...

So...in honor of Mother's Day there's a contest for the best mom in America - you may have seen it on the Today Show and other places. They have various categories of moms - single moms, working moms, military moms and non-mom moms...turns out - that adoptive mothers are considered "non-mom" moms - are you kidding me???????????

Just because we didn't physically give birth to our children we aren't real mothers?? Why is that?? I guarantee you that the months and months of time I spent on paperwork and homestudies and notorizations and medical forms, etc...were a hell of a lot harder and lot less enjoyable than the usual way of having a child.

It's so frustrating to see that no matter what, there will always be people - and apparently large media organizations - that will never consider me "real." Never mind that I am the only mother Drew has ever known and that his alleged "real" mother has never spent a day in his life with him...

It makes me angry and sad, especially as this is far from the last time that I will deal with this...and it makes me even more sad that Drew will have to deal with this his whole life too.

Maybe someday people will change their definition of "real."

Until then...Happy Mother's Day to all my fellow "Non-Mom" moms...


______________________________

Well - you can see the comment that was left on my blog by Teleflora - apparently a ton of adoptive moms flooded them with e-mails...it's amazng what a group of mad motehrs can do, huh??? I still don't understand why adoptive mom is a seperate category, but I guess it's better than "non-mom" right???

Thank you to Teleflora for recognizing how insensitive they were being and correcting the problem...

Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

jennifer.almer said...

My name is Jennifer, and I work with Edelman (www.edelman.com) on behalf of Teleflora’s “America’s Favorite Mom” program. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this issue.

After closer examination, Teleflora recognized how this may have been offensive to moms who have adopted children… moms who are indeed real moms in every sense of the word. This show of insensitivity was in no way intended and Teleflora offers its deepest apology. It was always Teleflora’s intent to salute and celebrate all moms.

Please know that in response the concerns expressed, Teleflora immediately changed the name of the “Non-Mom” category to “Adopting Moms,” which has already been posted on the “semi-finalist” page at www.AmericasFavoriteMom.com.

I thought you might want to know. On behalf of Teleflora, I hope you have a very happy Mother’s Day.