Thursday, December 13, 2007

Thursday AM in Kazakhstan....

Good morning. It’s Thursday in Kazakhstan and today we should find out if our paperwork comes back in time to make our Friday appointment at the US Embassy. We’re very, very hopeful – if the paper comes we’ll be able to make our flight on Sunday. If it doesn’t come, we’re here until Tuesday, more than likely. It’s a big day, and there’s nothing we can do but sit and wait!

Drew had a rough day yesterday because he was off schedule – or at least what I think is schedule is – all day. But it was all worthwhile when he rewarded me with a kiss. It was sloppy and drooly, but his first one to me and one that I’ll always remember.

Here’s how it happened – after sending our e-mail Wednesday night, we went back to our room for play. Drew and I decided we were tired of watching Voice of America television, so we plugged in my computer so we could listen to the music from my iTunes library. That seemed to put Drew in a good mood because he likes to dance to some of the music by sitting down and wiggling his butt on the floor. Very cute!

As we listened, we started playing with the wooden number puzzle I bought for him here. Drew gave me the pieces and I gave them big kisses while making a loud “mm-wah” noise. Drew thought that was funny and did the same thing. About 30 minutes later, while I was laying on the floor, Drew suddenly crawled over to me and gave me a “mm-wah” right on the mouth, and then he rested his head on my chest. It was an incredible feeling, and cemented any concerns that this little boy won’t accept us as his parents. Beth, I can’t wait to share all this with you. Our little boy is full of love and fun and we’re going to have great lives by bringing him into our family!

Drew got very tired by 7, so I decided there was no better time than a bath. I figured he hated sponge baths so much, I may as well let him throw a big fit with a full-scale bath while he’s cranky. Much to my surprise, though, it went pretty well! He didn’t like sitting in the warm water at first and started crying, but as soon as I showed him that he could smack the top of the water to make a splash his cries turned to giggles. I got a couple great photos of him in the tub, but I won’t e-mail them. The last thing I need is being arrested for international distribution of naked baby photos!

Once it was bedtime, Drew was exhausted. We read “Tails” and then I tried to put him in his crib, but this time he wanted to be held and rocked in the chair until he fell asleep. It was a good way to spend a half-hour, and when I finally put him down he stayed in his crib until about 4 a.m. today. Much better than yesterday!

Drew and I slept until 6, and he’s already had a diaper change and an early breakfast of a cracker, a half-jar of fruit and apple juice. He’ll play in his crib with some toys while I take a shower, and then at 8:30 or so we’ll go to the hotel restaurant for a better breakfast of eggs, bread, cucumbers and milk. At 9 we’ll send this message and hopefully Mommy will be on IM so we can chat.

____________________________________________________________________

Patrick and I were able to IM for a little while, untuil Drew decided he'd had enough!! LOL...

Kristi - I agree with you on the sleeping - if this is the one thing that he has the hardest time adjusting to from the orphanage, that's pretty good!!

No comments: