Monday, November 5, 2007

Another Day...Another Blog....

It's a blah and cold Monday in Taraz...even Drew was feeling a little blah today...

We did a lot of walking, some reading of "Tails," some eating and drinking..but that was about it. Drew didn't feel like doing much today, but that's OK - you can't feel like doing a lot every day, right? His walking is just sooo much better though, it's amazing, and he's initiating it a lot more, which is a good thing. Of course when I tried to make him walk when he didn't want to, he layed down and started to scream - like any good little boy would! That will teach me I guess...

Glad to hear I'm not the only mommy who wants to strip their child to the horror of his or her caretakers - LOL...For all you adoptive moms out there - I noticed Drew doing some self-soothing things (rocking, pulling on his fingers) - he doesn't do it a lot, but I know that I should be on the look out for it and not let him do it - have any of you experienced this? What did you do about it?

So...I thought I'd tell you all some odds and ends about Kzakhstan....you can stop reading here if it gets boring... :)

1. We saw our first fire truck today...it was actually what looked like a long orange pick up truck with a big tank of water in the back.

2. In Kazakhstan, women wear their wedding rings on their right hands, instead of their left hands.

3. When Russian babies get names, their middle name is their father's first name with a "vich" on the end...so I would have been: Beth Davidvich Rosenberg...it sounds a lot better with a Russian name like Alexander or Ivan I think...

4. In Kazakhstan its tradition for a woman, after she is married, to go live in her husband's family's house - can you imagine?????????? (No offense to my inlaws!!!) Tonya, our translator, refused to do it because her husband's parent's house has no indoor toilet and she was not going to use an outhouse - can't blame her. So they live with her mother.

5. Kazakhstan has only been an independent country for 15 years. There is some anomosity here, in certain parts of the country, toward Russians. There are some Kazakhs who feel Russians should go back to Russia. There is also a push here for people to speak Kazakh, rather than Russian, which is what most people speak.

And that's all I got for today...

Aunt Lois - I saw that RU lost - ugh!!!! So much for our glory season of last year...what a distant memory...now I need to go check if the Browns won!!!!

4 comments:

jodi said...

It's so interesting to hear all the different things about the culture. I'm sure Drew will love to hear all about it when he's older. The latest picture of you and Drew is adorable. You did miss a great day of football yesterday, but spending quality time with Drew beats that by a long shot! He's almost officially yours.

KRISTI said...

I love the picture of you reading to Drew. Tails is such a great book, too.

As for self-soothing behaviors, our pediatrician and our social worker all said not to worry about it as long as she isn't hurting herself. And, we should be happy that she can put herself to sleep! Sasha still rocks to put herself to sleep but nothing like she did when we first brought her home.

auntie said...

Sorry I have not been on computer this weekend so just got caught up on the goings on with the three of you. I know it seems painfully slow but soon Drew will be here and can play in dirt, mud, snow and leaves and do whatever he wants to. I think once you get him home he will be like a sponge and absorb everything quickly. Hugs and kisses from all of us, especially Catalena and Breele who will love to start playing with their new cousin.

Unknown said...

Hey guys,
we are back and I have caught up on all the excitemenet in the blog. Drew is soooo cute (I think he must take after his Aunt Lysie). I cant wait to meet him in person. Cant wait to see you guys either. And, now that I am back in front of my comp all day except alot of comments....cant wait to see more pics of the little guy!