Thursday, November 8, 2007

Before I forget...

...I have a favor to ask all the educators out there...

By now you all know our translator Tonya, right?? Well, when she's not dragging us around Taraz or helping us buy things in stores, she gives private English lessons to children. Today she told us she can't get a job in a school because she's Russian and those jobs go to Kazakhs. It's a very sad situation here - Russians are often treated like second-class citizens and they have no recourse. Kazakhstan is as much her home as anyone else's as she was born here, but she will always be seen as Russian.

Anyway - she's asked us to bring her books/workbooks to help children learn English when Patrick returns to pick up Drew. So, I'm asking all educators who may have old books/workbooks laying (lying?? I always mess up that word!!) around to help us out it this. I'm guessing books geared for grades K-2 would work best, but you all know better than me. Any help you can give us would be great and I know Tonya would be sooo appreciative - thank you in advance....

On to Drew...

Today was WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rather than hanging out in the bug-infested room, we were able to go to the second-floor of the orphanage and hang out where Drew lives!! He was so much more lively today and he "talked" sooo much.....it was amazing...

After a mid-afternoon snack of apples and peaches while sitting on mom's lap, it was all smiles and giggles. Auntie - the bubbles were a HUGE hit today!!! He sat on the foor and reched as high as he could for them - grunting and laughing and hitting them when they landed on the blanket. He was loving it!!!

Of course we also read some "Tails," and Drew said "bab, bab, bab..." over and over again, which I think was his version of "wag, wag, wag..." Way too cute!!!!

And like any other little boy, he thinks loud burps are the funniest thing around. Yeah, that should be a riot for the next 20 years or so!!! :)

Today, for the first time, he also reached out for us (OK - really Patrick, I admit!!) after his caregivers took him back...It was very cool....he's such an amazing little boy and his smile and laugh will just melt all of you - I can't wait for you all to meet him.

So - that was Kazakhstan today.

We also bought our train tickets for our return trip to Almaty. We leave Taraz at 1:30 a.m. on Tuesday and arrive at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday. Our flight home leaves at 4:30 a.m. Wednesday and we land in Newark, NJ at 4:25 p.m. Wednesday. It still amazes me that we get home the same day we leave, when it took us a day and a half to get here. I know it shouldn't, as I do understand the concept of time zones, but hey...what can I say???

Aunt Lois - Thanks for the suggestion! I would love to write a book, but I've never known what I could write about. Maybe this is it???

Elissa, Kelly and Jodi...So - do you think Drew will make a good Sigma Nu someday???? :)

Until tomorrow....

2 comments:

jodi said...

I totally agree with you aunt about writing a book. You are passionate about writing, and now you have something that you are passionate about. It could be very beneficial for other people to read about your experience. That must have made your hearts melt when Drew reached out for Patrick!
We can start writing his recommendation to Sigma Nu right now!

Kelly said...

I think it's much more important that he marry an Alpha Xi than be a Sigma Nu! I'm loving the pictures of this cutie...he will be a prize for any girl in double blue and gold to win!

Kelly, Greg and Cole